Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the dates of the 2014 State Fair?
A. The 2014 New York State Fair is from Thursday, August 21 through Labor Day, Monday, September 1.
- The dates for 2015 are Thursday, August 27 through Monday, September 7
- The dates for 2016 are Thursday, August 25 through Monday, September 5
Q. Where is the Fairgrounds located?
A. The New York State Fairgrounds in Syracuse, N.Y. is adjacent to Route 690 West. The Fairgrounds is accessible from the New York State Thruway, exit 39 (from the West) and 34A (from the East), and Route 81 from the North and South. Click here for driving directions.
Q. What are the Fair hours?
A. Gates open at 8:00 am daily. Exhibit buildings are open from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm, with the exception of Labor Day when they close at 9:00pm. The Midway is open until midnight every night of the Fair except on Labor Day when it closes at 10:00pm. (Closing time subject to change without notice)
Q. What are daily admission prices?
A. Daily admission tickets are $10.00 each during the Fair and are available at any State Fair gate when you arrive. Here are some additional admission details…
- Children 12 and under are admitted free every day of the Fair. Students 16 and under are admitted free on Friday, August 29, 2014.
- Senior Citizens’ Days are Monday and Tuesday, August 25 & 26, 2014 when all seniors 60 years and over are admitted free.
- Free admission to the New York State Fair is included with the advance purchase of any concert ticket. To obtain free admission, concert patrons can enter any gate.
Click here for advance sale admission details.
Q. What about parking during the Fair?
A. Ample parking is available in our designated Orange, Brown and Pink parking lots at the Fair. Follow signs from exit 7 on 690 East or West. Cost is $5.00 per vehicle. A free shuttle bus service is provided from the Orange parking lot to the Main Gate. E-Z Pass Plus will be accepted in the Brown and Orange lots. Follow the Purple E-ZPass Plus signs for quick, cashless access.
- Click here for information about our Special Needs parking area
- Click here for information about our Fairtime Temporary RV Parking
Those who drive electric cars are offered prime parking spots with electric vehicle (EV) charging stations available in the Pink Lot provided by MyFleetDept.com.
For those who decide to ride their bicycles to the State Fair, bike racks will be provided at gates 1, 3, 10 and 12.
Q. What musical entertainment is performing at the Fair?
A. Click for the schedule of one of the following venues:
Q. What are the details for the Midway?
A. Make sure to visit our Wade Shows Midway Information page
Q. What Attractions & Events will be at the fair?
A. Make sure to visit our Fair Attractions & Events page.
Q. What special days are there at the fair?
A. See a list on our Special Fair Days page.
Q. Where do you find general information during the fair?
A. Fairgoers can use any of our Guest Relations Centers: outside and inside of the Main Gate (Gate 1), just inside Gate 4, and the west end of the Horticulture Building near the DEC Log Cabin. These facilities provide information on all aspects of the Fair and surrounding Syracuse area. Fairgoers can stop by one of these locations from 8:00am to 9:00pm daily.
Q. What do I have to wear at the fair?
A. Each visitor to the New York State Fair will be required to wear a shirt and footwear.
Q. What is the Fair’s smoking policy?
A. Smoking is allowed on the Fairgrounds in general areas that are permitted by New York State Law. Smoking is not allowed in the State Fair Grandstand (ticket holders who wish to smoke will have to use a designated area away from the concert seats). Tobacco products will not be sold anywhere on the Fairgrounds.
Q. Can I bring my own food/beverages to the Fair?
A. While Fairgoers can and are encouraged to bring coolers with food and drink, they will not be allowed to carry any alcoholic beverages through the gates. Additionally, all liquids must be in plastic or cans. No glass bottles or containers will be allowed. The only exception at the Fairgrounds is the State Fair Grandstand where food, coolers, bottles, cans and glass are not allowed.
Q. Are pets allowed, even if they are leashed?
A. No, unless they are working dogs, canine companions or in a competition.
Q. Is there scooter, wheelchair, stroller or wagon rentals?
A. Vista Mobility is the exclusive scooter, wheelchair, stroller and wagon rental service for the 2014 New York State Fair. Equipment will be available daily from 8:00am to 10:00pm for rental at three locations: outside the Main Gate, inside Gate 4 and outside Gate 10. To reserve a scooter today call 1-877-588-4782 or click here to book online. Quantities limited – information subject to change.
|2014 New York State Fair Rental Rates|
Always use added caution when driving in a crowded area.
Equipment must not be used in wet or muddy areas.
Equipment must not be driven on sharp inclines or declines.
Scooter users must be 18 years or age or older.
Operation of equipment by persons other than the assigned renter is prohibited.
Q. Is there tram service at the Fair?
A. Fairgoers are able to make use of the Fair’s internal tram network for a set rate of $2.00 a day – trams are free on our two Senior Days, August 25th & 26th. The trams travel around the perimeter road, stopping at 11 scheduled stops. Tram service stops temporarily from 5:15-6:45pm for our Daily Parade, and resumes after the parade is finished.
Q. Is there public transportation service to the Fair?
A. There are a few choices you have:
- Centro will once again provide its popular direct service to the New York State Fair from August 21st through September 1st. Centro Express buses will regularly depart from 15 NYS Fair Park-N-Ride locations across Onondaga, Cayuga, and Oswego Counties arriving at the Fair’s Main Gate. Click here for locations and schedules.Centro Park-N-Ride Express Passes, regular Centro Ride Passes, and transfers will be accepted on all State Fair service buses. Fares and times will vary depending on location. For more information, please contact one of Centro’s Call Centers: Syracuse 315.442.3400, Auburn 315.253.5765 or Oswego 315.342.4400.
- Amtrak will once again provide this summer service directly to the New York State Fair, offering families a convenient and affordable way to travel to the state’s largest annual event this summer. For more information on Amtrak’s direct service to this year’s New York State Fair and for more information on traveling with Amtrak, visit Amtrak.com or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL to speak with an Amtrak reservations agent.
Q. What if someone gets lost at the Fair?
A. Wegmans Lost Kid Tags provide quick identification for those who become separated from their group. Tags are available at all gates and from all New York State Troopers or at Guest Relations Centers. Lost persons will be brought to the Lost Persons Center located between the Main Gate and Gate 12.
Q. Where is first aid available during the Fair?
A. There are two First-Aid stations during the Fair. The main infirmary facility is located directly behind the Horticulture Building and another is within the Fire Station near the Youth Activity Center where only emergency aid is available.
Q. Where can I charge my cell phone or vehicle at the Fair?
A. There will be four cell phone charging stations available in high traffic areas located inside the Fairgrounds. In addition, those who drive electric cars are offered prime parking spots with electric vehicle (EV) charging stations available in the Pink Lot. Both of these services provided by MyFleetDept.com. Please contact us or visit a Guest Relations location for more details.
Q. Are there jobs available for the 2014 State Fair?
A. Click here for information about employment opportunities for 2014 New York State Fair.
PLEASE NOTE – The New York State Fair does not hire for any of the food vendors or concessionaires. If you are interested in a job with a food vendor or concessionaire you must apply with them directly.